A baked blueberry donut that can compete with any donut store. This cake donut is full of fresh blueberries, a hint of lemon and a dreamy blueberry glaze.
Happy Monday! Did everyone have a good weekend? We did! We spent the day at Disneyland with Baby Stella and she loved it. She is starting to take everything in and loves all the characters, especially Minnie Mouse.
I love watching how much joy she brings to those around us with all her smiling and waving. She rode around on Daddy’s shoulders most of the day, squealing and laughing at everything.
She is quite the Disney baby, she has been at least a dozen times. It helps that we live really close. Whenever we go to Disneyland, we are all about the treats and it’s always a debate about which ones we will get since there are SO many great choices to pick from. I am a sucker for the benigets.
Have you ever had a beniget? They were made famous in Louisiana. It is a pillowy, soft, square donut that is covered in powdered sugar and served warm. It’s a little slice of heaven. Nick on the other hand LOVES the Ghirardelli ice cream shop and always wants a big ol’ caramel banana milkshake. Yesterday we got both. And today I am telling myself I need to hit the gym…but lets be real, I probably won’t.
Matter of fact, I only have more sugar on the brain. I made more donuts. Guys, this addiction is never going to end! These baked blueberry donuts are incredible! They are decadent, moist, and can compete with any bakery style donut. I love that they are baked and so easy to make.
My favorite part of these donuts though is the glaze. I pureed fresh blueberries and mixed them with powdered sugar and whipped butter. I was eating it straight out of the bowl (I am a real sucker for sugar and stuff).
Here are a couple tips:
- Don’t overmix the batter or the donuts will be tough.
- Don’t take the donuts out of the pan until they have completely cooled…they will fall apart. Speaking from experience here, I am slightly impatient.
- If you are using frozen blueberries, let them thaw out before pureeing them.
- If you do not have a donut pan, not to worry. These would make delicious muffins. The cooking time would be longer though. I would assume around 30 minutes but I haven’t tested it.
These donuts are absolutely heavenly! I tried limiting myself to only one but it was impossible. These are SOOO good!
Okay and here is what you are probably really excited for. The giveaway! I wish you all the best of luck! The giveaway runs until April 19th. 😉
- Blueberry Cake Donuts:
- 1½ Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 5 Tablespoons Butter, melted
- ⅔ Cup Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Zest
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- ½ Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Fresh or Frozen Blueberries
- Fresh Blueberry Glaze:
- 1 Stick Butter, softened
- ½ Cup Fresh Blueberries
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons Milk
- Optional: ½ Cup Crunchy Cereal for topping (I used Honey Bunches of Oats)
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease a donut pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking powder. In a separate bowl, combine the melted butter, sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Whisk in the beaten eggs. Gently mix the wet and dry ingredients together, alternating with the milk. Do not over mix! Fold in the blueberries. Spoon the batter into the donut pan, filling about two thirds of the way full. Bake for 17- 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and the tops have started to turn a very light golden brown. Cool completely before frosting.
- In a bowl, beat butter with a hand mixer on medium speed until whipped and fluffy, about two minutes. Set aside. In a food processor or blender, puree the blueberries until smooth, adding a few tablespoons of water if necessary. Add the blueberry mixture and powdered sugar to the butter. Beat another minute or until well mixed. Dip the donuts into the frosting and sprinkle with toppings if desired.