A healthy breakfast power muffin filled with juicy berries, quinoa, and oatmeal. Everything you need to start your day and to leave you feeling satisfied till lunch time.
Who doesn’t love muffins for breakfast? Even better is a muffin that you can feel good about. I am sure that you have noticed quinoa is trending right now and I am not surprised at all as to why. Quinoa is a great super food. It is a complete protein containing nine essential amino acids and a greater amount of vitamins than brown rice. I think we can all agree that we could use a little more of this super grain in our diets.
I started with a quinoa base for these muffins but the health benefits don’t stop there. This muffin is also made with oatmeal. Oatmeal is also a fiber rich food. Fiber aids in weight loss because it helps keep you full. I don’t know about you but I always have the munchies so I need the extra fiber to keep me out of the snack bin! Oatmeal also helps to lower bad cholesterol levels.
The next superfood in this berry quinoa breakfast muffin is nonfat greek yogurt. I can’t tell you how much I love greek yogurt. We buy it in bulk from Costco because I singlehandedly eat so much of it. Greek yogurt is my go to snack. The plain variety is fat free, high in protein, and typically is low in carbs.
Just to give these muffins a little extra edge, I added in flaxseeds which give the added benfits of omega 3 fatty acids and MORE fiber!
I decided to top these muffins with a little oatmeal streusel but it is completely optional. My sweet little babe and husband both loved these muffins. We plan on making them a staple for breakfast in our house.
With all the health benefits of these muffins you can’t afford not to make them. 🙂
- Berry Quinoa Breakfast Muffins
- 1 Cup Oat Flour
- 1 Cup Quinoa, cooked and cooled
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- ⅓ Cup Flax Seed
- 2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ¾ Cup Non Fat Greek Yogurt, plain
- ½ Cup Applesauce
- ½ Cup Honey
- 1 Cup Fresh or Frozen (thawed) Berries (Strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries)
- Optional Oatmeal Streusel:
- 1 Cup Old Fashioned Oats
- 1 Tablespoon Oat Flour
- ⅓ Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 3 Tablespoons Butter, very cold and cut into small pieces
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- Preheat oven to 350° and greese a standard muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. In a bowl, mix together oat flour, quinoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, brown sugar, flax seed, and cinnamon. In a separate bowl whisk together the vanilla extract, greek yogurt, applesauce, and honey. Mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients until combined. Gently fold in the berries. Spoon the batter into the muffin till about ¾ of the way full.
- Optional Oatmeal Streusel: In a bowl combine the oats, oat flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in the small butter cubes until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in the honey. Sprinkle the streusel mixture onto the top of each muffin before baking.
- Bake muffins for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
Other Healthy Breakfast Options