This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MemoriesInTheBaking #CollectiveBias
Chewy Chocolate Cookie Bars made with a secret ingredient to make them extra chewy! A perfect addition to your holiday cookie plates!
With a full belly and happy heart I write to you on this early Friday morning. And just like that Thanksgiving is over. It felt like mere hours.
Time is such an interesting thing. When I was younger it was as though time couldn’t go fast enough. I couldn’t wait for high school, couldn’t wait to drive, couldn’t wait till I could stay out as late as I wanted. It seemed as though I had all the time in the world…so wasting it never seemed like that big of a deal.
Fast forward 15 years and time has suddenly become a precious commodity. One that seems to pass quickly and with a blink of an eye it’s gone. I rarely say “I can’t wait” anymore because I have learned without any hesitation that I can wait.
I love this quote from a bedtime story that I read to Stella,
“How did it get so late so soon? It’s night before its afternoon. December is here before its June. My goodness how the time has flewn. How did it get so late so soon?”
Speaking of sweet little Stella, she keeps growing by inches and milestones, reminding me that this precious thing we call time is moving not in seconds and minutes but by love and laughter. If by chance you still find that time goes by slowly, have a baby, it changes everything.
I have been trying to slow down this holiday season. Soak in the moments and memories that aren’t likely to return. Like the way Stella waves her arms with glee at the bright Christmas lights or how she sways to the Christmas music while I make her breakfast. It is the little things in life.
Despite the rushed holiday season, I still have lots of baking up my sleeve. These Chewy Chocolate Cookie Bars are a perfect way to spread a little love and laughter. I love wrapping these up and handing them out to friends and neighbors. Never underestimate the joy chocolate can bring. 😉
These bars are so versatile. This time I made them with M&M’s® Holiday Baking Minis. Other great variations include chocolate chip and pecan or white chocolate and pistachio. You really can’t go wrong with these. This makes a big 9″x 13″ pan full of bar cookies so there are plenty to share! My secret ingredient is Quaker Oats! I turn them into oat flour and add it to these cookies to make them extra chewy!
I absolutely love packaging these up in little Glad Holiday tupperware and wrap them up with pretty bows. They make great gifts.
Everything you need to make these delicious Chewy Chocolate Cookie Bars can be found at your local Target! To cook up some of your own yummy recipes and for some awesome discounts, head over to Memories In The Baking!
- 1 Cup Butter, softened
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 3 Large Eggs
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- ½ Cup Quaker Oats (Ground in a food processor to make oat flour)
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ¾ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Cup M&M's® Holiday Baking Minis
- Optional for gift wrapping:
- Glad® - Holiday Packaging Tupperwares
- Wire Ribbon (any color)
- Parchment Paper
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a 9 x 13 pan with foil leaving a 2 inch overhang on each side. In a medium bowl beat together the butter and both sugars on medium speed with a hand mixer until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Slowly add in the eggs and vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, oat flour, salt and the baking soda. Mix the wet and dry ingredients together. Fold in the mini M&M's. Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 32-36 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.