An unfried version of the classic sugary treat, these Churro Pumpkin French Toast Sticks are the perfect breakfast! Loaded with cinnamon sugar and a decadent vanilla pumpkin custard, these French Toast Sticks are a must for dipping and dunking.
We live about 20 minutes away from Disneyland and are avid fans. We go several times a year and every time we leave, I always think to myself how grateful I am that we live so close to such a magical place. Nick and I both enjoy riding Space Mountain and all the other high thrill rides but now that Stella is here we have settled down a bit. Now we’ve replaced Space Mountain with The Winnie the Pooh ride 5 times in a row and after that we head over to the Toy Story ride because Stella likes to look at all the animals on the big screen. By the end of the day, we are exhausted. Nick isn’t a big fan of strollers so we switch off carrying Stella in a sling around our waist. It is quite the workout. Yes, times have certainly changed. We may not go as fast as we used to, or hit all the rides that we like BUT one thing hasn’t changed and that is my Churro!
A day at Disneyland just wouldn’t be complete without that sweet treat. I love the way I can smell the aroma of the cinnamon sugar coming from around the corner. It tells me right where to go. The hot fried pastry dough is dipped in cinnamon spices and sugar. Absolutely perfect. Of course, Stella shares in my love of Churros so we compete for bites. I don’t mind though. She gets a big smile from ear to ear and shouts “mmmm” with her sweet little voice. Who could say no to that?
So being the
responsible mother that I am, I just had to recreate my own Churro creation at home so Stella and I could have them all the time. Thus, Churro Pumpkin French Toast Sticks were born. They are so easy to make! You basically just make traditional french toast but instead of using whole slices, cut the bread into sticks. You don’t want to get the sticks too thin or else they won’t be able to hold up to the thick custard that you dip them in. I love using Brioche but if you can’t find it, French Bread or Challah bread works too!
These are perfect for Christmas morning or any holiday brunch! I can’t even tell you how amazing these are! Seriously, the best breakfast ever. Just ask Stella. 😉
- Churro Pumpkin French Toast Sticks
- 8 Slices Texas Toast (Brioche or any other thick bread will work)
- 3 Eggs
- ½ Cup Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- ⅓ Cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1 Teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Butter for frying
- Cinnamon Sugar:
- ½ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Heaping Teaspoon Cinnamon
- With a serrated knife, cut each Texas Toast (or other thick bread) slice lengthwise into 4 equal sized sticks. In a bowl whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla extract, pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice. Heat a skillet on medium heat. Melt a tablespoon or two of butter. Quickly, dip each bread piece on both sides into the egg mixture, shaking off any excess. Do not over soak, otherwise you will have a soggy french toast stick. Place the bread pieces in a single layer in the preheated skillet. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until lightly golden brown and then flip to the other side and repeat cooking time. Place the french toast sticks on a plate with cinnamon sugar. Roll generously to coat well. Serve with maple syrup for dunking.
More Pumpkin Fun!