A one pot creamy pesto pasta filled with savory Italian turkey sausage, crisp bell pepper, and tender spinach greens. A quick and easy weeknight meal that can be made in under 30 minutes.
After whipping up a couple batches of my favorite homemade pesto yesterday I knew only one thing was in order, pasta night! We rarely eat pasta because I like to get my carbs from so many other places… like desserts. Okay, you got me. Mainly donuts. But on this day nothing would do but a big heaping bowl of pasta.
I love pesto but my husband is an avid alfredo lover. So naturally I combined the two ingredients as a compromise. Matter of fact he informed me after he had this pasta that he can never pass up any alfredo pasta, which made me feel a little guilty for not making it for him more often.
He raved about this pasta. I have to admit that I thought it was delicious myself. In an attempt to make this pasta a little on the lighter side, I used a lean spicy Italian turkey sausage. Spicy is completely optional but in our house it’s a must. The best part about this pasta is that it can be made in one pot!
You could always use a homemade alfredo sauce but I was in need of something quick so I used a reduced fat jarred one. I did think to myself that a cauliflower alfredo sauce would also be a delicious alternative with a lot fewer calories. If you try that, let me know how it goes.
I used two of our favorite veggies in this pasta; red bell pepper and spinach. This recipe is very versatile though and you could swap out these vegetables for any kind that you prefer.
This one pot creamy pesto pasta with turkey sausage really is such an easy weeknight meal. We loved it.
- 1 lb Cavatappi Pasta
- 1 lb Italian Turkey Sausage (I used a spicy variety)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 Cup Spinach, packed
- 2 Cups Reduced Fat Alfredo Sauce
- 1 Cup Homemade Pesto or Store bought pesto
- Parmesan for sprinkling
- Cook pasta according to package. Drain and set pasta aside. Meanwhile, in the same pot, sauté the turkey sausage until fully cooked. Remove sausage from skillet onto a plate lined with paper towels Add red bell pepper and cook for about 2-4 minutes or until the bell pepper is just tender. Return sausage and pasta to the pot. Add in the spinach, alfredo sauce, and pesto and cook for 2-4 minutes on medium heat until the pasta is coated with sauce and warmed throughout. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve immediately.