A foolproof and easy spin on a Classic, this Easy Butternut Squash and Spicy Sausage Risotto is a perfect weeknight meal! Forget the endless stirring and let your oven do all the hard work!
What is your greatest fear in the kitchen?
Is it cinnamon rolls from scratch? Maybe it is mastering the perfect pie crust? Or is it perfecting those mashed potatoes that always come out a little too grainy.
Want to know my biggest cooking challenge? Risotto! I know, that seems silly right? But it has always seemed so daunting to me. Perhaps it was the 45 minutes of constant stirring or the fear of the whole thing turning out to be a pile of mush. I have just never had the courage to make it on my own!
Guess what though, I conquered my fears! Actually, Ina Garten from Barefoot Contessa conquered them for me. 😉
When I found her recipe for “Easy Risotto” that she claimed was No Fail, I just knew it was time for me to get in the kitchen and whip up some risotto.
Being that it is Fall, Butternut Squash was an absolutely necessary ingredient. But my meat loving husband would never be okay with my vegetarian concoction so I added some Spicy Italian Sausage for flavor and protein, which happens to be one of his favorites.
This Risotto truly is so simple! You simply add simmering chicken broth to a pot of arborio rice, cover and bake in the oven! While it is baking away. I cooked up my Italian Sausage and Butternut Squash. Once the risotto was finished, I added the classics (wine, a little more chicken broth and LOTS of parmesan cheese). It was just as creamy and perfect as any Italian Restaurant.
This little experience made me want to challenge myself more in the kitchen. I hope it inspires you too. Happy cooking!
- 5 Cups Chicken Broth, divided
- 1½ Cups Arborio Rice
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion, diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lb Italian Sausage (spicy or mild)
- 1 Cup Butternut Squash, diced
- ¼ Cup Dry White Wine
- 1 Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 5 Tablespoons Browned Butter*
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- Bring 4 cups of chicken broth to a simmer in a dutch oven. Add in the rice. Cover and bake for 45 minutes on 350°. Meanwhile, in a separate pot, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add in the onion and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Add in the Italian sausage and cook until browned. Drain excess fat/grease. Add in the butternut squash and cook for 7-10 minutes or until the squash is tender. Next, add in the white wine to the glaze, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Once the rice has finished cooking, remove from the oven and add in the remaining ingredients including the remaining 1 cup of chicken broth. Cook on the stovetop on medium heat stirring vigorously for 2-3 minutes. When finished the rice will be creamy. Gently fold in the butternut squash and sausage mixture. Garnish with a little more parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.