Easy Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup filled with fresh herbs, fire roasted tomatoes, garlic and a splash of cream, this truly is the best tomato soup ever! The best part is that it only takes 25 minutes to make and is the best for winter since it uses sweet canned tomatoes!
Soup is a favorite in our house. I love how it comforts you after a long hard day. There is nothing better than cozying up by the fireplace, turning on an old classic movie and enjoying a big bowl of homemade soup. If we were talking about ultimate comfort foods, I would have to say that in our house nothing can beat Tomato Soup and a grilled cheese.
Unfortunately, I have never been one for simplicity. I am a
snob I mean, foodie at heart and nothing can change that. If we are having a peanut butter and jelly sandwich you best believe that it is gonna be made on thick brioche bread with hand crafted blackberry preserves and the best roasted peanut butter….so much for the basics.
Now if we are going to get into tomato soup it has got to be homemade. Soup from a can will NEVER do. Luckily for me, making tomato soup from scratch is a breeze. This recipe is a family favorite in our house and I think I have finally perfected it. My favorite part about this soup is that it uses canned tomatoes. During the winter, tomatoes just aren’t in season so I capitalize on all that summer flavor that has been canned. My favorite is San Marzano Tomatoes because they have such a great depth of flavor but you can use any whole tomatoes your grocery store carries.
This soup comes together very quickly! I just place garlic, shallots, red pepper, thyme and whole tomatoes on a baking sheet and roast them in the oven. The secret ingredient is SUGAR. You only need 1/2 a teaspoon but it makes all the difference in balancing the acidity of the tomatoes. After that, I place all the ingredients in a blender. Add a few additional ingredients that you probably have in your pantry and dash of cream and voila. The best Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup!
Now I just need that perfect grilled cheese….
- Easy Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup
- 1 (28 oz.) Can Whole Canned Tomatoes, drained reserving the juice (I prefer San Marzano Tomatoes)
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Large Shallot, peeled and halved
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, deseeded and cut into large chunks
- ½ Teaspoon Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 8-10 Thyme Sprigs, divided
- Olive Oil for drizzling
- 3 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- ⅓ Cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Basil, chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Place the whole tomatoes, garlic, shallot, red pepper and 5 thyme sprigs on a foil lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with sugar, salt and pepper. Drizzle lightly with olive oil. Roast for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and discard the thyme sprigs and place the remaining roasted ingredients in a blender including the reserved tomato juice. Be very careful when blending, be sure that the lid is on tight and to be safe I always place a dish cloth over the blender lid. Blend until smooth. Add the blended ingredients to a saucepan with the remaining ingredients. Bring to a slow boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Serve with croutons or your favorite grilled cheese for dipping!
More Comfort Dinners!