This post has been sponsored by the US Potato Board via Honest Cooking. For more information on potatoes and for more great recipes click here. Thanks for supporting the brands that make Mariah’s Pleasing Plates possible.
Golden on the outside with the perfect crunch, these Garlic Parmesan Potato Balls are a delicious update to traditional mashed potatoes.
Happy Wednesday all!
I hope you are having a great week. If you are anything like me, you have probably been wrapping presents, finishing your shopping and have started to think about your Christmas menu.
As of last week I was on a Christmas roll and feeling way ahead of the game. But on Sunday I came down with a little bit of a cold and that knocked me out all day on Monday. I slept from 10am until 5:45pm even after previously having a full night of rest. Luckily for me, my parents took Baby Stella for the day.
Which got me thinking about how people handle being sick with kids when they don’t have any help around…It all just made me feel very grateful for family and that I have been so blessed to live so close to the ones I love most in the world.
Speaking of which, I am VERY excited for Christmas and have been testing out some new recipes. I love coming up with recipes to use up all my leftovers and this has to be my favorite one yet. We always have a ton of Mashed Potatoes left over after Christmas dinner so these Garlic Parmesan Potato Balls are the perfect way to use them up.
Nick and I have a big family so we celebrate all of Christmas week with lots of family get togethers so that we can fit everyone in. So I love that this recipe allows me to repurpose the traditional mashed potato dish.
I started with 2 cups of plain mashed potatoes and then added a couple pantry staples…an egg, some seasoning, a little bit of garlic and shallots, then rolled the potato balls in freshly grated parmesan cheese and Italian style bread crumbs. After a light pan fry in a little bit of canola oil, these little balls of golden goodness were ready. I am pretty sure they are going to be a new holiday tradition at our house.
I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
- 2 Cups Mashed Potatoes
- 3 Tablespoons Shallots, minced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Egg slightly beaten
- ⅓ Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 2 Tablespoons Italian Parsley, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 Cup Italian Style Breadcrumbs
- Canola Oil for frying
- In a medium bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, shallots, garlic cloves, egg, and Italian parsley. Shape into 1 inch balls. Refrigerate the potato balls for 30 minutes. Next, roll the potato balls in the parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. Preheat a skillet with about 2 inches of oil on moderate heat. Fry potato balls on all sides, a few at a time, for 2 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Serve immediately.