Healthy Zucchini Banana Muffins made with greek yogurt, oatmeal, coconut oil and whole wheat flour! These healthy muffins make a great breakfast or afternoon snack, plus they are low in fat and calories!
Is summer nearing its end already? In our little town, everyone is already headed back to school. I feel like summer flew by. With summer’s end comes the need for quick breakfast options. So I have been experimenting with easy breakfast ideas that you can make ahead.
Naturally muffins were first on the agenda. I started with a basic Zucchini Bread and added in banana but they were loaded with sugar, tons of white flour and oil. I really wanted to lighten things up. So I decided to omit the regular oil and to use a mixture of applesauce, greek yogurt and coconut oil. The greek yogurt adds protein and moisture while the applesauce adds great flavor! The coconut oil adds a touch of sweetness and is a great healthy fat!
The original recipe called for almost 2 cups of sugar but that just didn’t work for me. I wanted a breakfast that was loaded with flavor but I didn’t want the crash later from all the sugar. I found that the banana and applesauce gave the muffins a natural sweetness so I cut the sugar down to 1/2 a cup. I think next time I may reduce it even more.
My secret to these muffins is the nutmeg. They give off a sweet, bakery flavor. It is my absolute favorite. Of course no banana muffin would be complete without some cinnamon. Cinnamon is a great way to add flavor to sweets without adding calories!
These muffins are a great way to sneak veggies to your little ones without them even knowing it! Stella loved them!
I used a mixture of oats, whole wheat flour and regular flour for these muffins! The oats gives a really nice texture to these muffins! I am not an oatmeal lover but I love all the health benefits so this is a happy medium for our family!
So rather you are sending the kiddos back to school or enjoying your last few days of summer, you NEED to make these muffins for your breakfast enjoyment!
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Oats
- 1 ½ Teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 ½ Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
- ¼ Teaspoon Nutmeg
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- ¾ Cups Greek Yogurt
- 1 Large Egg
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ Cup Coconut Oil
- ½ Cup Applesauce
- 2 Large Ripe Bananas
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups Shredded Zucchini
- Optional: (1 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips, Shredded Coconut, Walnuts or Raisins)
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl, combine both kinds of flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the greek yogurt, beaten egg, brown sugar, coconut oil, applesauce, mashed bananas and the vanilla extract. Mix the wet and dry ingredients together. Be careful not to over mix! Fold in the shredded zucchini with a rubber spatula. Fill a muffin tin ¾ths of the way full. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
More Breakfast Ideas