Tips and tricks for perfect sweet potato chips. Crispy, flavorful and guilt free with a zesty sweet and salty seasoning. Betcha can’t just eat one!
I am a big snacker. I always have a case of the munchies and if I am not looking for something sweet than I am on the hunt for something salty. After learning about all the healthy benefits in sweet potatoes, I’ve been trying cook them more often. My husband loved this recipe using sweet potatoes and his next request was for me to make sweet potato chips.
I have done a lot of experimenting with these chips in order to find the perfect one. So here are all my tips and tricks.
The very first thing you need is to slice the potato chips very thin, a mandolin works best for this but if you don’t have one you could always use a very sharp knife. The second step is to soak the sweet potato slices in warm water for 15 minutes with a little bit of corn starch. This step is very important. Soaking the potatoes is very important as it removes the excess starches which helps them to get crispy in the oven, cause who really likes a soggy potato chip?
After the potatoes have finished soaking you will want to dry them very well with a paper towel. Next line a baking sheet with foil and top with an oven proof cooling rack. The cooking rack keeps the sweet potato chips elevated and allows any excess oil to drop onto the foil. Brush each side of the potato slice with oil. You can use olive oil but I found that grape-seed oil resulted in a crispier sweet potato chips.
I am a sweet and salty fanatic so I LOVE the seasoning blend that is included in the recipe but you could really use any kind of seasoning for these chips (garlic and herb, taco seasoning, salt and pepper). Another little secret: ADD a little corn starch to your seasoning blend. It will make your sweet potato chips extra crispy.
- Crispy Sweet Potato Chips:
- 2 Large Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Corn Starch
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- Sweet and Spicy Seasoning:
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Onion Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- ⅛ Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- 2 Teaspoons Corn Starch
- For Sweet Potato Chips:
- Wash sweet potatoes and thinly slice with a very sharp kitchen knife or mandolin. Place sweet potato slices in a bowl and cover them with warm water and corn starch. Soak for 15-20 minutes. Preheat oven to 425° and line two baking sheets with foil. Place an oven safe cooling rack on both baking sheets. Remove the potatoes from the water and dry very well with a paper towel. Brush each side of the potato slice with oil and place on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with seasoning of choice. Bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping the potato slices half way through the baking process. Check the potato chips frequently to make sure that they don't burn! Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- For sweet and spicy seasonings:
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Generously sprinkle seasoning over sweet potato slices before baking. Store extra seasoning in a cool, dry place.
Other Popular Recipes