This Lightened Up 7 Layer Dip is the perfect party food. By replacing sour cream with hummus and using reduced fat cheese, you save on calories without sacrificing flavor!
I can’t believe it is almost the 4th of July. Where did time go? Before you know it, Christmas will be here and I will be just as stunned. I am convinced that time goes by faster when you are older. Does anyone else feel that way?
When I was younger the years seemed to drag on and I just couldn’t wait to be a big kid. I was gonna forego naps, eat ice cream for dinner and have princess movie marathons every evening. I was gonna be in charge.
Too bad that being a grown up means trading in homework for real work and the pressure of meeting your 11pm curfew turns into awaking at 6am…without the pancake breakfast waiting downstairs from your mom.
Sometimes I just think ” Why’d you have to go and grow up so fast Mariah, if you only knew then what you know now.” I think we all wish that in some small way. Now I lay with Stella at night, stroking her pretty, soft hair, praying that she won’t grow up too fast…that just maybe she could stay my little baby forever. But then I see her little hands are growing and watch her as she gets stronger each day, pulling herself up and I just know those little feet are going to walk away with my heart someday. Someone once told me that having a child means you must be inherently brave because eventually you have to let go and that is the hardest part. I can see now that it is true.
Sorry for the sappiness. Let me leave you with this little piece of unsolicited advice: slow down. Life goes by in an instant and today in our social media crazed, life in the fast lane, throw everything in the microwave lifestyles, everything goes by far too quickly. Emails can wait, bosses will still be there tomorrow, your Instagram feed won’t end…but precious moments with the ones you love most are something you just can’t get back.
I guess you can’t just lead into Lightened Up 7-Layer Dip after that…So lets just start with the most important part, its addicting! I am not a big sour cream fan and since it happens to be laden with calories, it happens to be in my favor. I always volunteer to make this dip every year because A.) I know I’ll eat half of it, and B.) It is sour cream free!!
My little secret is using hummus in place of the sour cream. I switch off between the Roasted Red Pepper variety and the Jalapeno variety but plain hummus would work just as well. I just stir half a packet of low sodium taco seasoning into the hummus.
This year I dressed up this fun dip with a festive flag design. It is super easy and its perfect for 4th of July parties…but honestly this dip is perfect anytime of year. 😉
- 1 Can (14 oz.) Non Fat Refried Beans
- 1 Cup Hummus (I used Roasted Red Pepper)
- ½ Packet (1.25 oz) Taco Seasoning (I used low sodium)
- 1 Jar (16 oz.) Chunky Red Salsa
- 1½ Cups Pico De Gallo
- 1½ Cups Guacamole
- 1 Cup Reduced Fat Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- Optional Flag Topping:
- Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- Cherry Tomatoes, cut in half
- In an 8 x 8 pan, spread the refried beans in an even layer. In a bowl, combine the hummus and half the package of taco seasoning. Mix well. Spread the hummus evenly on top of the beans. Top evenly with remaining layers starting with the chunky salsa and ending with the guacamole. Top with cheese and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. Serve with your favorite chips!
- Optional Flag Topping: Place a handful of black beans in the corner of the dip on top of the guacamole. Shape them into a square. Place the cherry tomato halves in a few straight lines alternating with lines of cheese in between.
Other Fun Appetizers: