A super easy homemade granola made with creamy peanut butter, crunchy banana chips, and nutty walnuts. Real banana chunks are baked right into the mix!
Granola. Just the sound of that makes me feel healthy, in a totally unsuspecting, not going to the gym, perfect way. Ha! Especially this granola. The hubs and I have been on a granola kick for awhile now but I absolutely hate buying the pre packaged kind at the store. It’s always full of high fructose corn syrup and unnecessary amounts of oil (never a good thing). And that is when I started experimenting at home. There is only a few guarantees when I start experimenting in the kitchen: a big pile of dishes and a trail of sticky counters! Occasionally I get lucky and will also yield a working recipe, in this case some darn good granola. And let me tell you, not only is this the BEST granola I’ve ever had, it’s also full of wholesome ingredients.
This granola has all the things I love: creamy peanut butter, crunchy banana chips, and nutty walnuts. The peanut butter mixture/ coating (whatever you wanna call it) is sooooooo sooo so good. I kept going in for more. I don’t know if it was the peanut butter or the amazing aroma of the coconut oil but I just couldn’t get enough. I scraped every little bit of peanut butter goodness out of that saucepan. I’m talking giving a whole new meaning to the phrase, finger lickin’ good!
Sorry I am getting off track. Back to making this granola. It’s beyond easy to customize to your own taste. If you prefer pecans instead of walnuts or almond butter in place of peanut butter, you can do whatever you like. Throw it all in the oven for 30 minutes and you’ve got homemade granola for the whole week. I like to use it as a topping on greek yogurt and breakfast smoothies. YUM. And if we are being real honest I like it on a big bowl of Haagen Daz vanilla ice cream with big caramel swirls drizzled all over the top…..but we can talk about my sugar addiction at another time
I was really excited to whip up this granola on my new silicon baking mats I got for Christmas. Not to be confused with the new silicon boobs I had originally asked for (Santa apparently didn’t get the memo).
Anyway, happy granola eating!
- ½ Cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- ¼ Cup Honey
- ½ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- ½ Cup Ripe Banana, mashed
- 3 Cups Old Fashioned Oats
- ½ Cup Banana Chips, Chopped
- ½ Cup Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 and line cookie sheet with foil. In a medium saucepan combine peanut butter, honey, vanilla extract, salt, and coconut oil on medium heat until everything has melted together. Add mashed banana. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl mix oats, banana chips, and walnuts. Pour melted peanut butter mixture over the oat mixture. Toss until all ingredients are well coated. Spread granola mixture on cookie sheet, making sure to spread evenly. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown, tossing the ingredients once during the baking time. Once the granola has cooled, store in airtight container for up to one week.