Skinny blackberry lemonade infused with lemon zest, simple syrup, and a fruity blackberry puree. This lemonade is sugar-free, fat-free, and skinny jean friendly!
I am sooo eager for summer it’s not even funny. The best part about living in Southern California is that the beach is only 20 minutes away. Nick and I have so many fond memories of this particular spot on the beach.
It’s the place we had our second date, staying up till nearly 2 in the morning talking about everything under the sun. It is the place where Nick got down on one knee and asked me to spend forever with him. It is also the place we got married. It will always have a very special place in our hearts. Now I enjoy bringing Stella there and I can’t help but laugh at her with fistfuls of sand, playfully shoving it on daddy.
You know that corny phrase “Life isn’t about the breaths you take but about the moments that take your breath away.”? Well that couldn’t be more true nowadays. Something about having a child and watching them take everything in for the first time makes the little things seem a bit more magical. I catch myself slowing down these days, if only for a few moments to listen to the sound of her heart beating in and out or to pause at the rare moment that she snuggles up onto my chest. And this, its all coming from a woman who said she wouldn’t have kids till she was 30! But here I am now, savoring every moment with my precious girl.
Okay enough of the snappy story. I am sure you are here for the delicious Skinny Blackberry Lemonade that I promised you. You all loved the Skinny Limeade I posted a few weeks ago and I have received several emails requesting more skinny beverages.
Enter sweet, tart, juicy lemons. Lemonade is one of my favorite parts about summer and I drink it nearly every day. But after a while, all the sugar starts to add up so I have had to find substitutes. By using an all natural sugar substitute (I use Truvia), I get my sugar-free drink and it doesn’t skimp on flavor.
My favorite part about this lemonade is the blackberry puree. It is so good. Our farmers market has had a ton of fresh blackberries so it has been my inspiration for all sorts of fun things that will be up on the blog soon. My secret to making all my lemonade/limeade recipes is a basic simple syrup infused with the zest of whatever citrus fruit I am using in the recipe. The essential oils from citrus fruits smell absolutely incredible and are amazing flavoring agents. Don’t skip this step!
Your family will love this skinny blackberry lemonade and so will your bikini. 😉
- 7 Cups Cold Water, divided
- 2 Teaspoons Lemon Zest
- 6 Tablespoons Truvia (Or other all natural sweetener of your choice)
- 1 Cup Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice (5-6 Lemons)
- 1 Cup Fresh Blackberries (Plus 1 Tablespoon Water)
- Lemon Wheels and Blackberries for Garnish (Optional)
- In a saucepan bring 1 cup of water, lemon zest, and Truvia to a boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Meanwhile, juice the lemons. Add the lemon juice, simple syrup, and the remaining cold water to a large pitcher. In a blender or food processor puree the blackberries with 1 tablespoon of water. Pour the into a fine mesh kitchen strainer and press with a rubber spatula to extract the juices, leaving the seeds behind. Discard the seeds. Add the blackberry puree to the pitcher. Stir well and serve over ice. Optional: Garnish with optional lemons and blackberries.