A zesty mexican pork chile verde covered in tomatoes, salsa verde, spicy jalapeños, and a savory blend of mexican seasonings. Practically cooks itself in the crock pot.
It’s that time of year. The real lazy time. It is cold, windy, and nightfall comes so quickly. Darkness leads to night time and night time leads to bed time….and in our house we always say “bedtime is the best time”. (We are trying to pass that memo to Baby Stella. She isn’t following).
Today just happened to be one of those cold rainy days. A day where I just wanted to curl up with a warm blanket and the remote or a good book. Today I didn’t want to cook a thing. And that is when I decided to break out the slow cooker and let dinner cook itself.
The best part about this recipe is that you would NEVER guess how easy it is because it tastes like it took hours of slaving over a hot stove. The pork is quickly browned in a cast iron pan and then tossed in the crockpot with loads of mexican tomatoes, a zesty verde salsa, lime juice, jalapeños, and lots of spices. 8 hours later you have a tender pork roast that is falling apart and ready to be made into tacos, burritos, nachos…whatever you fancy.
I personally love this pork chile verde in a big ol’ cheesy quesadilla with pepper jack cheese and corn. But honestly its even good right out of the crock pot all by itself. Sometimes I serve this up with a big pot of yummy mexican rice (remind me to steal that recipe from my mother-in-law), black beans, lime wedges, and all the fix-ins.
No matter what way you serve this, I guarantee it will be loved.
- 4 lbs. Pork Shoulder or Butt Roast
- 1 Small Onion
- 1 28 Oz. Can Green Enchilada Sauce
- 1 4oz. Can Green Chilies
- 1 4oz. Can Jalapenos
- 1 14.5 Oz. Mexican-Style Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Green Salsa Verde
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Mexican Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- In a cast iron skillet heat 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil on medium high heat. Generously salt the pork meat and brown on all sides, about 3 minutes on each side. Once browned transfer to a slow cooker and add the remaining ingredients, Cook on low for 8 hours. Shred the pork meat and serve immediately.