This Slow Cooker Southwestern Quinoa Chili is full of fiber, lean protein and hearty seasonings! A variety of beans, lean ground turkey and nutty quinoa make this a healthy weeknight meal you’ll want again and again.
Are we actually in June already?! Where has the time gone?! I have been spending all week trying to put a cohesive plan together for Stella’s first birthday party. Have you ever gone on Pinterest and looked at kids birthday ideas? Some kids have bigger parties than my wedding! The themes are crazy extravagant! I mean, when I was a kid they just threw us into a blow up pool half naked and popped some hot dogs on the grill. Someone would bring a cooler full of beer and call it a day.
Obviously the trends have changed. The pressure is on to make this the best first birthday party everrrrrrr. But now I have a million ideas picked out and am in complete analysis paralysis. Jumper or no jumper? Do I hire entertainers for the kids? If so, not a reptile man…I hate snakes. And no clowns for that matter either. I have heard that you can hire princesses now to come and play with the kids and take pictures but would that leave all the boys out? Clearly, I need help. Have you planned a birthday party recently? Please send me your ideas!
I can tell you one thing! There is going to be a ton of desserts! And a doughnut table. Yup, you heard me right. Doughnuts are officially the family favorite food and so they have to make an appearance. I am sure all the parents will thank me for giving their children the ultimate sugar high.
Okay, on to this slow cooker southwest quinoa chili. This is one of my signature dishes and I am so happy to share it with you! Coming from a big family, we were all about simple meals growing up. Now that I have Baby Stella, I have grown quite fond of simplicity too. There is something so comforting about coming home at the end of the day to a home cooked meal that practically made itself. Add in the fact that it is a healthy meal and I am the happiest girl around. Nick, Stella and I all agree that this is one of our favorite meals.
It is very lean and full of protein. I use 99% fat free ground turkey and honestly we don’t even miss the fat. I use hearty seasonings and chipotle peppers to enhance the flavor without packing in the calories. Not to mention this chili is packed with beans which are high in fiber and keep you feeling full for hours….hopefully keeping you from sneaking into the fridge with late night munchies.
So pull out your slow cooker and whip up this southwest quinoa chili! I promise it doesn’t disappoint!
- Slow Cooker Southwest Quinoa Chili
- 2 lbs Lean Ground Turkey
- 1 Small Yellow Onion, chopped
- 2 Bell Peppers, diced (I used red and yellow)
- 2 (14.5 oz.) Cans Mexican-Style Diced Tomatoes
- 1 (30 oz.) Can Chili Beans, undrained
- 1 (26 oz.) Can Ranch Style Beans, undrained
- 1 (15 oz.) Can Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz.) Can Pinto Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz) Can Chicken Broth
- 2 Cups Uncooked Quinoa
- 2 packets McCormick Chili Seasoning ( I used Smokey BBQ flavor)
- 1 Tablespoon Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Optional Toppings
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Green Onions
- In a skillet, brown the onion and bell pepper for 10 minutes on medium heat or until the onions are translucent. Add in the ground turkey. Cook for 10 minutes or until the meat is fully cooked.
- Transfer the onions, peppers, and ground turkey into a slow cooker. Add in the remaining ingredients. Stir. Cook on low for 5-6 hours. Serve with optional toppings.
This make a big pot of chili so feel free to halve the recipe or freeze the half for a later time.