This Slow Cooker Sweet and Tangy Asian Pulled Pork is a delicious and quick way to get your take out fix! It is perfect for making tacos, sliders, salads and more!
Asian flavors are a favorite in our house but for whatever reason many of my favorite dishes have yet to make it to the blog! Well I am here to fix that!
Asian cooking is intimidating to a lot of people but it doesn’t have to be. It can be made very simple by just keeping a well stocked pantry with a few key ingredients. So throw away that take out menu and lets talk about some Asian staples.
First things first, always keep low sodium soy sauce on hand. It is a base flavor in almost every one of my Asian inspired recipes. Soy sauce adds a salty flavor to the dish but also lends to a much more complex flavor than your basic sea salt. The next is hoisin sauce. It is a thick, syrup like sauce that is sweet and almost like a thick teriyaki sauce. It is perfect for getting a nice glaze and that unique flavor that Asian take out is famous for. I love the flavor of ginger and think that for this particular item, fresh is best. It is extremely inexpensive and is available at almost any grocery store. You can grate any leftover ginger and store it in the freezer for use at a later time.
I highly recommend browning your meat before putting it in the slow cooker. Browning the meat only takes a few extra minutes and gives the pork a flavor that can not be replicated by anything else.
I usually make this Sweet and Tangy Asian Pulled Pork on a Monday and then use it all week on salads, sandwiches and especially in tacos with a little bit of mango salsa (as pictured here). It is a staple in our house! It pairs well with everything. Since it is tailgating season, this pork would be amazing as an Asian Style Pork Slider!
- 1-2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 5-6 lbs Pork Shoulder, cut into 4 or 5 large pieces
- Salt and Pepper for sprinkling
- 5 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- ¾ Cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 Cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- ⅓ Cup Asian Chili Sauce
- 4 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- ¾ Cup Oyster Sauce
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- To Assemble Tacos:
- 12 Corn Tortillas
- 1 Cup Mango Salsa (or preferred salsa)
- 1 Cup Shredded Lettuce
- In a large skillet or dutch oven, heat the oil on medium heat. Generously sprinkle the pork pieces with salt and pepper. Brown the pork for 1-2 minutes on each side. Remove the pork from the skillet and add to the slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on low for 7-8 hours. Using two forks, shred the pork and toss in the cooking juices.
- To assemble the tacos: Warm the tortillas. Fill the prepared tortillas with the shredded pork, mango salsa and shredded lettuce. Serve immediately.
More Easy Dinner Ideas