This Slow Cooker Zesty White Chicken Chili makes making dinner a breeze. Juicy chicken pieces, roasted peppers, and white beans make this a protein and fiber packed meal.
I am a huge advocate of using the slow cooker. It makes life so much easier. I am so busy during the week and there are times when the days just get away from me…before I know it, its dinner time and I have nothing made. Which puts me back to point A; I LOVE my slow cooker!
I also love this Zesty White Chicken Chili! It is loaded with roasted poblano peppers which I think are the best thing ever! When roasted, they have a smoky and slightly sweet flavor. They really make this Chili! I take out the seeds to avoid the heat (Baby Stella hasn’t caught on to our love of spicy foods just yet).
Once the poblano peppers are roasted, this chili gets even more flavor with the addition of sweet red bell peppers, a little jalapeno, and onions and garlic. I don’t think I have a single recipe for a soup that doesn’t call for onions and garlic. So much flavor for so little calories! Big win there!
This soup is also full of protein which is a big plus! I am keeping it healthy today because I know the weekend will inevitably lead to pancakes, donuts and maybe even the occasional piece of bacon. I try to follow the 80/20 rule, 80% healthy and 20% cheat food. But I think my mind has that rule reversed to 80% donuts/sweets and 20% lean meat and veggies. It is a vicious cycle friends. Luckily for me, we have moved 40 minutes away from my favorite donut shop which makes it entirely less convenient to stop by like I used to. I have only been back twice in the past 30 days which basically mean I am having huge withdrawals over here! And that means Nick and I will be spending tomorrow morning taking a little drive for my favorite Apple Fritter. Something tells me Baby Stella is gonna be thrilled! 😉
I hope you all enjoy the weekend!
Stop by tomorrow for another Healthy Weekly Meal Plan!
- Slow Cooker Zesty White Chicken Chili-
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Poblano Pepper
- 1 Jalapeno, diced and seeds removed
- 1 Medium Onion, chopped
- 2 Medium Red Bell Peppers, diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 2 Cans White Beans, drained
- 3 Large Chicken Breast, diced
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Can Corn
- 1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Salt
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Optional Toppings: Limes, Cilantro, and Avocado
- Roast the poblano pepper and jalapeno over an open flame for 3 minutes on each side or until the skin is charred and has begun to blister. Using tongs, place the charred peppers in a plastic ziplock bag to steam for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, heat a skillet on medium- high heat, add in the olive oil. Add in the diced onion, red bell pepper and garlic to the skillet. Saute for 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Remove the peppers from the bag. With a paper towel remove the charred skin of the roasted peppers. Remove the seeds and stems and dice. In a large slow cooker, combine the onions, bell peppers, and roasted poblano & jalapeno pieces. In a blender or food processor, puree 1 can of the drained white beans. Add white bean puree and remaining ingredients to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 5-6 hours. Garnish with limes, cilantro and avocado for topping.
More Dinner Goodness