These easy Southwestern Turkey Burgers are filled with wholesome ingredients like lean ground turkey, sweet bell peppers, cilantro and jalepeños to give them a little kick. They are the most requested burger in our house!
When I was younger, I loved cooking for my big ol’ family. My mom had her hands full with 6 kids so she wasn’t much for cooking. She was all about simple meals and now that I look back I think she did a pretty amazing job despite being so busy. Around the time I was 13, I stopped burning water and took a real interest in cooking. I would rip out recipes out of magazines, collect them in a binder and at the end of the week I would sit down and do all the meal planning. I would make organized store lists, occasionally sending my dad to a specialty store when I got up the courage to try whipping up ethnic foods.
I got a lot of practice in the kitchen during that time. During those first years I developed and perfected some of my family’s favorite recipes like my Mexican Meatball Soup or my Chipotle BBQ Ribs. Or maybe they were just happy that we weren’t having Mac N Cheese again (sorry mom). 😉
Eventually I grew up and moved out and cooking took a little bit of a back burner. Sure I would whip out a pan whenever I wanted to impress a boy but most days I just reverted back to smoothies and watermelon.
After I met Nick, eventually got pregnant and stopped working, I had way more time on my hands to start cooking. I fell in love with it all over again. One night my dad requested that I make homemade turkey burgers so I started throwing together this and that until these beauties came together. That was almost a year ago and they have pretty much become famous in my family. My parents have the recipe memorized and make them at their house at least once a week. Nick and I always make the full recipe and freeze a bunch of the uncooked patties for easy lunches! Even Baby Stella really loves them. When I am trying to lower my carbs I eat them topped with a little guacamole and no bun. They are packed with protein, easy to throw together and healthy. I use extra lean ground turkey and extra lean turkey sausage. You can adjust the spices to your liking, of course I like mine extra spicy.
- Southwest Turkey Patties:
- 1 Small Onion, chopped finely
- 1 lb. Ground Turkey
- 1 lb. Lean Turkey Sausage (I used hot but you can use mild if desired)
- 1 Can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Cup Bell Peppers, finely chopped (I used 1 small red and 1 small yellow)
- 1 Jalapeno, deseeded and diced
- 1 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ Cup Cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Southwest Chipotle Mrs. Dash
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- ½ Teaspoon Chili Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 6 Buns, toasted
- Leaf Lettuce
- Red Onion
- In a very large bowl combine all the ingredients for the turkey patties with your hands. Mix very well. Form into twelve patties. Freeze 6 for a later time. Grill the remaining 6 patties for 5-6 minutes on each side.
- To assemble burgers: Place each patty on a toasted bun. Top with lettuce, tomato, red onion, and guacamole. Serve immediately.
Other Great Dinner Ideas: