A healthy sweet potato dish stuffed with chicken, veggies, and a zesty taco seasoning blend. An easy and skinny weeknight meal.
My little sister is a fitness model and all sorts of gorgeous. Legs that go to heaven and long blonde hair. She is a real beauty. And she is a serious lover of all things fitness. Shelby is what we like to call a gym rat. There have been days that she has gone to the gym 3 times in the same day (cardio, weights, cardio). She also competes in fitness competitions and works crazy hard to get in perfect shape. There is some mad discipline that goes into preparing for her shows.
It was during one of these crazy prep’s for her competition that she seriously educated me on food and the main staples it takes to give your body the adequate nutrients to not only get into the best shape of your life but also to build a ton of lean muscle mass. One of these core food groups is good carbs. Sweet potatoes have a low glycemic index which means that they won’t spike your blood sugar. Sweet potatoes give you energy without causing you to have that heavy crash that is associated with their less nutritious counterparts (regular potatoes, white pasta, etc). They are also high in fiber which helps you stay full longer and aid in losing body fat. Are you feeling ready to hop on the sweet potato train yet?
They really are yummy. I make sweet potato chips, fries, and even cinnamon-sugar flavored ones. I especially like them stuffed. These easy tex mex stuffed chicken sweet potatoes are an easy weeknight dinner and I love the fact that this dish makes a complete meal. You have a carb, a veggie, and a lean protein. And did I mention how easy these stuffed sweet potatoes are to make? It’s a breeze. You could easily use a rotisserie chicken in place of the grilled chicken to save even more time. I used zucchini, bell pepper, and corn as my veggies but feel free to use whatever veggies you like most or have in your refrigerator.
Did I convince you to try sweet potatoes?
- 3 Large Sweet Potatoes
- Olive Oil for drizzling
- ½ Small Onion (about ½ cup)
- 1 Zucchini, Diced (about 1½ cups)
- ½ Cup Corn
- 1 Large Bell Pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 Large Chicken Breasts, grilled and diced
- ½ Cup Chicken Broth
- 2 Tablespoons Taco Seasoning
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- ½ Cup Reduced Fat Mexican Cheese, shredded
- Optional Toppings: Hot Sauce, Chopped Cilantro, Reduced Fat Sour Cream, Green Onions
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line baking sheet with foil. Wash sweet potatoes well. Prick the potatoes several times with a fork and rub the outside of the skin with olive oil. Place on baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, heat medium sized skillet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sauté onion for 3-5 minutes or until tender and translucent. Add in zucchini, corn, bell pepper, and chicken breasts. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add in chicken broth and taco seasoning. Remove sweet potatoes from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Slice the potatoes down the middle, lengthwise. With a spoon, scoop out the flesh of the potato. It is easiest to take your time with this step, making sure to leave about a ¼ inch border. Fill each potato with chicken and veggie mixture. Top with shredded Mexican cheese and bake an addition 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with optional toppings.