A super simple baked sponge cake doughnut covered in delicious whipped cream cheese frosting and topped with juicy strawberries and cake crumbles. Its a perfect spin on the classic strawberry shortcake dessert.
Okay, I feel like we have started to get to know each other here so I am going to get real honest with you. Like reallyyyyy honest.
I have a severe doughnut addiction. There I said it. Glad I got that off my chest.
Do they have an AA for doughnut-aholics? Because I would lead that group….we could all sit around and talk about our addiction over a few, you guessed it; doughnuts.
This doughnut obsession, its a real thing. Doughnuts are my very favorite food. If I could eat them everyday and still button my jeans then I would…..but sadly the cruel reality of saturated fats and carbs are also very real. Which means I have to limit my doughnut consumption to once a week. But you better believe that my husband and I have found just about every doughnut shop within a 25 mile radius of us (he supports my addiction, thats why I married him). We live 1.3 miles (yes I really know exactly how far it is) from a 24 hour doughnut shop and they have incredible flavors…..carmel apple pie doughnuts, vanilla cronuts, and my personal favorite is the blueberry cake doughnut. I am on a first name basis with the employees. They satisfy my doughnut needs and for that they are beautiful lovely people.
Since there are 6 days in a week that I can’t have doughnuts, I have had to find substitutes. My addiction supporting husband brought me home a doughnut pan the other day and I have been making up all sorts of concoctions ever since. Now since we are being honest and all, I will tell you the truth. A baked doughnut can never live up to all the glory of the usual fried goodness but they are pretty darn good for a quick fix.
These strawberry shortcake doughnuts are pure yum! The base is a light and airy sponge cake. Perfect for topping with whipped cream cheese frosting and strawberries. This doughnut makes for a great valentines day treat (can you believe valentines is right around the corner?!). I’m loving testing out all kinds of valentines treats….and my excuse: “but baby its for the blog.” (It works like a real charm). In the meantime I think it may be time for some new jeans. Can those be for the blog too?
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Sugar
- ½ Cup Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 4oz Cream Cheese
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 6-8 Strawberries, sliced for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease 2 doughnut pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine flour and baking powder in a medium size bowl.
- In a separate bowl beat eggs with a mixer until very thick (between 2-3 minutes). Slowly add in the sugar and then the flour mixture.
- Heat milk and butter in a saucepan. Cook on medium heat until milk is warm and the butter has melted.
- Combine warm milk and butter with the flour mixture.
- Pour into prepared doughnut pans.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes.
- In a medium bowl mix the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix with an electric mixer until well combined.
- Slowly add in the heavy cream.
- Continue to mix until the frosting holds stiff peaks.
- Frost each cooled doughnut generously with frosting. Top with sliced strawberries. Optional crumble 1 unfrosted doughnut for topping.