These Fried Chicken Sliders are the perfect summer party food. Garlicy mashed potatoes, crispy fried chicken, and creamy pepper gravy are piled high atop a toasted King’s Hawaiian Slider Bun.
Have any of you caught on to the food truck craze? When I was younger food trucks were packed full of frozen burritos and eggs from a jug. You certainly didn’t see any mile long lines for those trucks. Now they have become not only 5 star eateries but are also really unique. Nick and I have a few of our favorites that we follow on social media and whenever they are in our area we always jump in the car and go track them down. Nowadays food trucks have their own shows on cooking channel and Food Network. Whenever I get to try one that I have seen on TV previously, I always get really excited!
Last weekend we tried the infamous Burnt Truck and they have the most amazing sliders! We got every slider on the menu. Clearly, I am really trying to work on my beach body. They had a giant meatball slider that was incredible but the real star of the show was a fried chicken slider. You heard me right. All the fixings of a fried chicken dinner packed into a dinner roll. It’s like a portable heart attack. So what did I do? Headed back for seconds of course! I figure all those calories give me motivation on the Stair Stepper.
So in the interest of my personal health, I decided to whip up my own version at home. My logic is quite sound. You guys, they were SOOO good! Garlicy mashed potatoes, creamy pepper gravy, a big piece of fried chicken all between a King’s Hawaiian Bread Slider. Does life get any better?! And they were really easy too. I make fried chicken the cheater way. Fry it for a few minutes to get crunchy and then pop it in the oven to finish cooking. It is really quick, easy and doesn’t take forever on a week night. While the chicken finishes cooking, I make all the fixings.
You better believe that these sliders will be making appearances at our house all summer and I hope they will be at yours too!
- Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- 1 Cup Reduced Fat Buttermilk
- 4 Large Chicken Breasts (cut into 8 evenly cut pieces and pounded flat)
- ⅛ Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- 2-3 Dashes of Hot Sauce
- 1 Cup Flour
- ½ Cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 2 Teaspoons Granulated Garlic
- 2 Teaspoons Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- To Assemble Sliders:
- 8 Slider Buns (I used King's Hawaiian)
- 1 Cup Garlic Mashed Potatoes (Store Bought or Homemade)
- ½ Cup Prepared Gravy (I used McCormicks Homestyle Country Gravy Packet)
- Buttermilk Fried Chicken: Soak the chicken breast in buttermilk, cayenne pepper, garlic salt, pepper and hot sauce for 8 hours or over night.
- Preheat skillet with about 1 inch deep of vegetable oil. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk. In a bowl combine the flour, breadcrumbs, granulated garlic, paprika, and pepper. Coat chicken with flour mixture. Shake off excess. Fry the chicken in small batches for 3 minutes on each side. Transfer the chicken to wire rack set inside of a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes on 350°.
- Cut each slider in half and toast them lightly. Spread the bottom half with 1-2 tablespoons mashed potatoes. Top the mashed potatoes with a fried chicken piece, drizzle with gravy. Serve immediately.
Other Fun Summer Dishes