A better for you chocolate cherry oatmeal cookie made with almond butter, applesauce, and no flour. And a secret ingredient! Gluten-free and flour-less!
Who doesn’t love a big oatmeal cookie? I can’t resist them. I have been experimenting for a while on a healthy version of a chocolate cherry oatmeal cookie and am happy to say that I have finally found one I love!! This cookie has just the right amount of sweetness and satisfies my sweet tooth without any of the guilt.
This recipe couldn’t be any easier. It starts with some oatmeal and some oat flour. Don’t be afraid of oat flour, it is so easy to make. You just grind up raw oats in a food processor till it is a fine powder that resembles flour. Just be sure to measure the oat flour after grinding to get an exact measurement. This recipe has a healthy dose of almond butter which is so good for you. Almond butter is high in protein and a good source of monounsaturated fat (the good fat your body needs).
Now for the secret ingredient! Drum roll please…..are you ready? Are you sure? Okay, okay….its orange and almond extracts. A friend of our family owned a very successful cookie bakery for several years and they had the BEST oatmeal cookies. Like crave one all the time, sell out before noon, out of this world oatmeal cookie. So when I was testing this recipe and just couldn’t get the flavors right, she folded and gave me the family secret recipe (I’ll be posting that soon). The combination of those two flavors together is absolutely perfect and makes these chocolate cherry oatmeal cookies irresistible. That and the fact that they only have 1/3 of a cup of sugar while only taking about 20 minutes to make makes this quite the perfect healthy cookie if you ask me.
It’s the real deal. Enjoy.
- ⅓ Cup Oat Flour (Measure after grinding)
- ⅔ Cup Old Fashioned Oats
- 1 Tablespoon Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Egg
- ⅓ Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1 Cup Almond Butter
- ⅛ Teaspoon Orange Extract
- ½ Teaspoon Almond Extract
- ⅓ Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips or Chunks
- ⅓ Cup Dried Tart Cherries
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a medium mixing bowl, combine oat flour, oats. cocoa powder, and baking soda. In a separate bowl beat the egg. Mix in the almond butter, brown sugar, orange extract, and almond extract. Mix until well combined. Combine almond butter mixture with the dry ingredients. Fold in chocolate chips and dried cherries. Scoop about 1 tablespoon sized balls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Press the dough balls down lightly with the back of a spoon to create a slightly flat shape. Bake for 7-10 Minutes.
2. Allow cookies to cool completely before removing them from the baking sheet as they will be crumbly.