Rich and creamy scalloped potatoes, loaded with sharp cheddar cheese and spicy jalapeño slices. The perfect side dish for any meal.
I am an addict of all things cheesy….feta, brie, parmesan, mozzarella, and cheddar. Especially cheddar. I can eat cheddar cheese in anything. Nachos, grilled cheese, salads,
straight out of the fridge in huge blocks. Yes cheddar cheese is my jam. Well not literally. Jam and cheddar cheese? Yuck.
Okay so we all know about the traditional scalloped potatoes. They are creamy and get that kinda burnt crust on the top. ⇐ ⇐ My favorite part! The middle is always filled with some kind of rich cream and lots of layers of thin potatoes.
They are a family favorite around here. But this….this is scalloped potatoes on steroids. We all know that I love spicy. What can I say, this momma lives life on the edge. Stella can grow up thinking I’m the cool mom because I am so errr..edgy.
Poor kid is gonna grow up with a complex. All edginess aside, I do have these awesome potatoes and with that I can say all is right in the world.
I used a mandolin slicer for this dish. Do you have a mandolin slicer? If not than you should get one. Best $15 bucks I have ever spent. They are great for cutting thin slices and are a huge time saver. It makes these potatoes a real cinch. Unless you are WAY better at using a knife than I am and in that case, teach me your ways!
As you may have assumed these potatoes are loaded with sharp cheddar cheese. But the other cheesy starring role goes to the spicy pepper jack cheese. I love pepper jack cheese but if you don’t than jack cheese is a great substitute.
These jalapeño cheddar scalloped potatoes are the perfect addition to any meal but especially for a big ol’ honey ham.
- 2 Tablespoons, Butter
- 1 Jalapeño, chopped and deseeded
- 1 Small Onion, diced
- 2½ Cups Half and Half
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Black Pepper
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 Cup Pepper Jack Cheese, shredded
- 6 Large Russet Potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter an 8x8 baking dish. Set aside. In a small skillet, melt the butter. Add in the jalapeño and onion. Saute on medium high heat for 5 minutes or until the onion becomes translucent. Add in the half and half. Bring the mixture to a boil and then remove from heat. In a large bowl mix the two cheeses with the potatoes slices. Top with the half and half mixture. With a wooden spoon mix everything together gently and transfer to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the top with paprika. Bake for an hour and a half, basting occasionally. Allow the dish to cool slightly before serving.