A hearty breakfast pizza that your kids, husband and friends are sure to love. Spicy beef chorizo, mexican tomatoes, cheese and hash browns on pizza dough. YES
We love breakfast in our house. Going to get breakfast or brunch is one of our favorite weekend pastimes. I love trying new breakfast foods! I usually order some sort of decadent french toast or a big stack or pancakes. But once in awhile I will get a craving for something savory. When those cravings strike I always go for something spicy. I happened to have one such item on Valentines Day for breakfast and absolutely loved it. It was a Mexican style omelet stuffed with chorizo, veggies, cheese, and avocado. I covered the whole thing in salsa. It was delish!
So that got me thinking about recreating something similar at home. And voila this breakfast pizza was born. We LOVE it! I have two words…..HOT SAUCE. Although it is delicious without it, the loads of Sriracha and chipotle Cholula that we put on it made it that much better. The Hubby and I both knew right away that the leftovers wouldn’t last long.
Does anyone ever have breakfast for dinner??? Well my husband and I have a tendency to change things up from time to time and indulge in some syrup-smothered pancakes or a hearty scramble for dinner. Trust me, it always tastes just as good in the evening as it does in the morning. 😉 Of course we ate this breakfast pizza in the morning and may or may not have had it again for dinner. Okay fine, I’ll admit it, the breakfast pizza didn’t survive until breakfast the next day.
I was looking for a quick and easy option so I opted to use a pre made pizza dough but you can easily substitute your favorite homemade crust. This pizza comes together so quickly. I pre baked my crust and while that was baking, I scrambled up some eggs. Be sure to cook the eggs over easy as they will finish cooking in the oven. The last thing you want to do is end up with rubbery eggs (gross). Next, fry up the hash browns. The secret to getting golden hash browns is using really hot oil and not over crowding the pan. In a separate pan, fry up the chorizo. Once the pizza was finished pre baking, I brushed it with a little olive oil to get that pretty golden brown color and a couple dashes of hot sauce for an extra kick. I topped mine with a mix of pepper jack cheese and a Mexican blend but you can feel free to use any kind of cheese you have on hand. Top the cheese with the cooked hash browns, a little bit of canned tomatoes, eggs, and the chorizo. Bake for another 5-8 minutes or until the cheese has melted nicely. I topped ours with green onions and avocado slices.
- 1 Tube Refrigerated Pizza Dough or your favorite homemade recipe (I used Pillsbury's Whole Wheat)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- A few dashes of Hot Sauce
- 4 Eggs
- 2 Tablespoons Milk
- 3 Tablespoons Canola Oil
- 1 Cup Shredded Hash Browns, thawed
- 3 Cups Pepper Jack or Mozzarella Cheese
- ¼ Lb. Beef Chorizo, cooked and drained of excess oil
- ½ Cup Canned Mexican Style Tomatoes, drained
- Green Onions, Hot Sauce, and Avocado Slices for Topping
- Unroll or roll out pizza dough and brush with olive oil. Pre cook pizza dough according to package, Meanwhile, scramble 4 eggs in a bowl with the milk and cook in medium sized pan about half way through or until the eggs are over easy. In a separate pan, heat canola oil to a medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, add in the shredded hash browns and cook in a single layer for 2-5 minutes on each side or until slightly golden. Remove hash browns and blot away excess oil with a paper towel. Remove pizza crust from the oven and top with shredded cheese, hash browns, scrambled eggs, beef chorizo, and Mexican style tomatoes. Cook for 6-8 minutes on 400° or until cheese is melted throughout. Top with green onions, hot sauce and avocado slices, serve immediately.